Year opened: 1924
Capacity: 35,097, up from 12,000 when first completed. Capacity was at 24,000 at the time the Bengals played there.
James Gamble Nippert Memorial Stadium, 1924 to date
Pro football tenants:
Cincinnati Bengals (AFL), 1968-69
Postseason games hosted:
Other tenants of note:
University of Cincinnati, 1924-89, 91 to date
Moeller High School, 2006-08
Notes: The site was being used by the University of Cincinnati for football as early as 1902, when it was known as Carson Field (which is still the name of the playing surface, if not the structure). While ground was broken in 1916 for a brick and concrete structure, it wasn’t fully completed until 1924. The field was converted from grass to AstroTurf in 1970 and to FieldTurf in 2000. The stadium was closed for major renovation in 1990, during which season the football team played home games at Riverfront Stadium. Stadium named for Jimmy Nippert, who died of blood poisoning after receiving a spike wound while playing football for the University of Cincinnati. Nippert’s grandfather, James Gamble of Procter & Gamble, provided the final $250,000 that allowed for the facility to be completed.
Fate: Still in use.
(Lower view is more recent, showing renovations. Top view shows stadium as it appeared when Bengals played there)