March 21, 2011

Past Venue: Municipal Stadium

Kansas City, MO

Year opened: 1923
Capacity: 35,561, up from 16,000 at opening

Muehlebach Field, 1923-37
Ruppert Stadium, 1937-43
Blues Stadium, 1943-54
Municipal Stadium, 1954-76

Pro football tenants:
Kansas City Blues/Cowboys (NFL), 1924-26
Kansas City Chiefs (AFL/NFL), 1963-71

Postseason games hosted:
AFC Divisional playoff, Dolphins 27 Chiefs 24, Dec. 25, 1971

Other tenants of note:
Kansas City Blues (minor league baseball), 1923-54
Kansas City Monarchs (baseball Negro leagues), 1923-31, 37-54
Kansas City Athletics (MLB – AL), 1955-67
Kansas City Royals (MLB – AL), 1969-72
Kansas City Spurs (NASL), 1968-70

Notes: Temporary stands erected in baseball’s left field in order to add seating for football. Stadium was significantly reconstructed into Municipal Stadium for the arrival of major league baseball in 1955. Originally named for George Muehlebach, owner of the minor league baseball Blues, who built the stadium but was renamed for Jacob Ruppert, owner of the New York Yankees, when that club purchased the Blues.

Fate: Demolished in 1976 and was replaced by a municipal garden. Currently the site of a housing development.