aka Babe Ruth Stadium
Year opened: 1922
Capacity: 40,000 at opening, increased to 78,000 within two years, but eventually reduced to 58,917
Venable Stadium, 1922-24
Municipal Stadium, 1924-49
Babe Ruth Stadium, 1949-50
Pro football tenants:
Baltimore Colts (AAFC), 1947-49
Postseason games hosted:
AAFC Eastern Division playoff, Bills 28 Colts 17, Dec. 12, 1948
Other tenants of note:
Baltimore Orioles (minor league baseball), 1944-49
Baltimore Elite Giants (baseball Negro leagues), 1944-49
Notes: Hosted Army vs. Navy football games, 1924 and 1944. Stadium opened with a football game between teams fielded by the US Army Third Corps and Marines from Quantico, VA on Dec. 3, 1922. Regularly hosted Navy home games against significant opponents. Primarily a football stadium, the minor league baseball Orioles moved in during 1944 season after their home park was destroyed by fire. Briefly renamed for Baltimore native Babe Ruth following the baseball star’s death in 1948.
Fate: Gradually demolished between 1949 and ‘50 and rebuilt into Memorial Stadium.