Green Bay, WI
aka East Stadium
Year opened: 1925
Capacity: 25,000, up from 6000 at opening
City Stadium, 1925 to date
Pro football tenants:
Green Bay Packers (NFL), 1925-56
Postseason games hosted:
Other tenants of note:
Green Bay East High School, 1925 to date
Preble High School, 1960-2004
Notes: Often referred to as East Stadium or Old City Stadium and not to be confused with Lambeau Field, which was originally named City Stadium from 1957-64 and was often referred to as the New City Stadium during that time. Owned by Green Bay East High School. Also used for high school soccer matches and track & field. Initially, the stadium lacked both rest rooms and locker rooms - the Packers used the high school for locker room facilities – although these were eventually added (but there was never a visitors’ locker room – visiting teams either used the high school or suited up at the hotel before coming to the stadium). Beginning in 1933, Packers played some home games each year in Milwaukee (the practice continued through 1994).
Fate: While the structure was demolished in 1966, the field is still in use by the high school. An ornamental fence and monuments pertaining to the field’s pro football history have since been added.