aka Connie Mack Stadium
Year opened: 1909
Capacity: 33,608, up from 23,000 at opening. Approximately 39,000 with extra seating added for football.
Shibe Park, 1909-53
Connie Mack Stadium, 1953-76
Pro football tenants:
Philadelphia Eagles (NFL), 1940-57
Postseason games hosted:
NFL Championship, Eagles 7 Cardinals 0, Dec. 19, 1948
Other tenants of note:
Philadelphia Athletics (MLB – AL), 1909-54
Philadelphia Phillies (MLB – NL), 1938-70
Notes: Hosted Pro All-Star Game, Dec. 27, 1942. In addition to the years listed above, hosted one Eagles home game in 1934. Hosted some home games of combined Phil-Pitt team (“Steagles”), 1943. Hosted one game each season of NFL Frankford Yellow Jackets, 1925 and ’26. Hosted two home games of AFL Philadelphia Quakers, 1926. Hosted forbidden game between NFL Pottsville Maroons vs. Notre Dame All-Stars that cost the Maroons the league title, 1925. Major league baseball’s first steel-and-concrete stadium. Stadium’s façade was of French Renaissance style and there was a tower on the southwest corner that contained the offices of the MLB Athletics, topped by a domed cupola where Connie Mack had his office. Named for Ben Shibe, owner of the A’s at the time of construction. Renamed for Connie Mack following his retirement. MLB Phillies bought the stadium in 1954 when the A’s were sold by the Mack family and moved to Kansas City. Extra seating was added in the right field area to better accommodate football. Also hosted boxing and soccer matches.
Fate: Damaged by fire in 1971 and demolished in 1976, the Deliverance Evangelistic Church was built on the site.