New York, NY
Year opened: 1936
Randall’s Island Stadium, 1936-48
Triborough Stadium, 1948-55
Downing Stadium, 1955-2002
Pro football tenants:
New York Yankees (AFL), 1936-37
New York Yankees/Americans (AFL), 1940-41
Brooklyn Dodgers (ContFL), 1966
New York Stars (WFL), 1974
Postseason games hosted:
Other tenants of note:
New York Cosmos (NASL), 1974-75
Notes: Both the Yankees and Yankees/Americans of the second and third AFL split their home games between Yankee Stadium and the then-Randall’s Island Stadium. Originally built as a WPA project and opened in conjunction with the Triborough Bridge. Facility opened with trials for 1936 US Olympic team. Eventually named for John J. Downing, a director of the NYC Dept. of Parks and Recreation. Venue also used for baseball, track & field, and soccer. Site of first televised college football game, Waynesburg vs. Fordham, 1939. Lights from Ebbets Field were moved there following that stadium’s demolition.
Fate: Demolished in 2002 and replaced by Icahn Stadium.