April 14, 2012

Past Venue: Red Bird Stadium

Columbus, OH
aka Jets Stadium, Cooper Stadium       

Year opened: 1932
Capacity: 15,000. Listed at 11,887 when UFL Colts played there.

Red Bird Stadium, 1932-54
Jets Stadium, 1955-70
Franklin County Stadium, 1977-84
Cooper Stadium, 1984 to date

Pro football tenants:
Columbus Bullies (APFA/AFL), 1939-41
Columbus Colts (UFL), 1961-62

Postseason games hosted:

Other tenants of note:
Columbus Red Birds (minor league baseball), 1932-54
Columbus Bluebirds (baseball Negro leagues), 1933
Columbus Elite Giants (baseball Negro leagues), 1935
Columbus Jets (minor league baseball), 1955-70
Columbus Clippers (minor league baseball), 1978-2008

Notes: Owned and operated by Franklin County, Ohio. Located in Franklinton section of Columbus. Originally constructed by MLB St. Louis Cardinals as venue for its Columbus-based AAA farm club. Grass surface replaced with AstroTurf, 1984, and returned to grass in 2000. Significantly renovated in 1977, with luxury boxes added. Stadium renamed in 1984 for Harold Cooper, a Franklin County commissioner who played a significant role in keeping professional baseball in Columbus during the 1950s. Pro football Bullies were members of minor American Professional Football Assoc. in 1939 and transferred to third major incarnation of American Football League for 1940-41.

Fate: Currently closed but may be renovated into multi-purpose venue, including auto racing.

[Updated 2/3/14]