April 18, 2012

Past Venue: Frankford Stadium


Philadelphia, PA
aka Yellow Jacket Field



Year opened: 1923
Capacity: 10,000 (approx.)

Names:
Frankford Stadium, 1923-33
Yellow Jacket Field (unofficial)

Pro football tenants:
Frankford Yellow Jackets (NFL), 1924-30

Postseason games hosted:
None

Other tenants of note:
None

Notes: Located at intersection of Frankford Avenue and Devereaux Street in the Frankford section of Philadelphia. The venue suffered damage due to, first, a fire and then a windstorm in 1929. Crowds for Yellow Jackets games were noted for their enthusiasm, helped by the participation of the Yellow Jackets Band and the Frankford Legion Post 211 Drum & Bugle Corps. Venue also used for midget and women’s football.

Fate: Severely damaged by a fire in 1931 (forcing the Yellow Jackets to play in other venues), the structure was demolished following purchase by the Frankford Legion Athletic Association in 1933 and rebuilt as Franklin Legion Athletic Field (later renamed Yellow Trojan Field). A car dealership and row homes have since been constructed on the site.