Year opened: 1925
Providence Cycledrome, 1925-37
Pro football tenants:
Postseason games hosted:
Other tenants of note:
Notes: Constructed near the boundary between
Providence and Pawtucket
as a bicycle-racing venue (velodrome). The field was surrounded by a
steeply-banked wooden track that cut into the end zones, reducing one to five
yards in depth. Seating was permitted on the straightaway portions of the
track, parallel to the field, and fans were so close to the action that plays
going out of bounds could have players landing among the spectators. Lights
were installed in 1930. Locker rooms, as such, provided very limited space and
were only used by the home team – visitors had to dress for the game at their
hotel. Largest crowd was 13,000 for Steam Roller vs. New York Giants.
Fate: Demolished in 1937 and replaced by a drive-in movie theater, which has since given way to a shopping plaza.